Please join us in giving back to our community. We are actively recruiting new members. We have found that volunteering at West Douglas Fire is satisfying and rewarding. We learn new skills, break out of our comfort zones, and feel more a part of our community.
No experience is necessary!
Volunteers must be a resident of the fire protection district.
General Volunteer Requirements
- Age 16 and older
- Good physical condition – physical limitations can be accommodated
- All professions and education levels
- A good driving record/clean criminal record
Initial Training Requirements
Within three years of your hire date you are expected to complete the following training courses:
- WDC Orientation
- CPR – BLS Healthcare Provider
- VFIS Driver Training
- S130/190 Basic Wildland Firefighter
- Hazardous Materials (Awareness Level or above)
On-going Training Requirements
To maintain a “good standing” status with the WDCFPD and to earn pension credit for every year served…
- You are required to attend 36 hours of training yearly.
- 24 of those hours should be WDCFPD sponsored fire trainings.
- This includes WDC District, WDC Station or other WDC sponsored fire training
Station Duty Requirements
Station duties are the routine tasks that must be performed on a regular basis to keep the WDCFPD and its equipment functioning. These include tasks such as…
- Cleaning your station and apparatus
- Maintaining tools and equipment
- Participating in WDC committees
- Public education/Prevention classes
- Pre-planning structures
- Hose and hydrant testing
Junior Fire Fighters
- Junior Fire Fighters may join at 16 and will remain at the Junior level until they turn 18
- At age 18 the Junior Fire Fighter may proceed to the rank of Probationary Fire Fighter
- A Junior Firefighter may not be put into life-threatening situations or drive emergency vehicles